Always scratching your head when you get your energy bill? What are some ways you can improve energy efficiency in your house? Well here are a few tips to help you keep your cash in your wallet this winter season:
• Seal off drafty windows and patio doors with clear plastic and caulk both sides of the trim around your windows.
• Have your furnace serviced and replace the furnace filter every month. Don’t forget about your air-to-air exchanger! It has filters inside that needs to be cleaned as well.
• Make sure your cold air returns aren’t blocked.
• Try replacing or installing weather stripping around the doors in your home.
• Use a programmable thermostat to reduce heating costs when no one is at home. Check out our video blog about the Nest Learning Thermostat below.
• Uncover all south-facing windows to let all possible sunlight in your home.
• Try not to use space heaters to heat large areas of your house.
• Keep all closet doors closed when possible. There’s no need to heat space that isn’t in use as long as it doesn’t contain water pipes.