Always scratching your head when you get your energy bill? What are some ways you can improve energy efficiency in your house? Well here are a few tips to help you keep your cash in your wallet this winter season:
• Seal off drafty windows and patio doors with clear plastic and caulk both sides of the trim around your windows.
• Have your furnace serviced and replace the furnace filter every month. Don’t forget about your air-to-air exchanger! It has filters inside that needs to be cleaned as well.
• Make sure your cold air returns aren’t blocked.
• Try replacing or installing weather stripping around the doors in your home.
• Use a programmable thermostat to reduce heating costs when no one is at home. Check out our video blog about the Nest Learning Thermostat below. For more details about the Nest visit www.nest.com
• Uncover all south-facing windows to let all possible sunlight in your home.
• Try not to use space heaters to heat large areas of your house.
• Keep all closet doors closed when possible. There’s no need to heat space that isn’t in use as long as it doesn’t contain water pipes.