For close to a decade, Royal LePage Regina Realty has supported our national charity, the Shelter Foundation, which in turn, provides vital funds to our local women’s shelters: The Isabel Johnson Center & Sofia House. Domestic violence is a critical issue in our city and province, and the statistics are alarming. Not enough has changed these past ten years. These shelters remain in desperate need of funding, turning away over 2000 women and children away alone last year due to lack of space and resources. And for this very reason, the JC REALTY TEAM wanted to re-shift our focus to why the violence is actually happening in the first place.
This month, we are collaborating with an incredible initiative: Man Up Against Violence which is a movement derived out of the University of Regina. It’s a cause striving to challenge mind sets and behaviours with regard to the social construction of masculinity and its relationship to violence. One of their key goals and objectives is to stop violence before it even occurs. We can do this by:
- acknowledging our roles as bystanders
- confronting language or inappropriate behaviour that is abusive and degrading towards women
- questioning our own attitudes and behaviours towards what we think masculinity should look like
- be an advocate for positive ideals of masculinity and champion the idea that is ok for boys and men to show vulnerability
- promote healthy ways for boys and men to cope with showing emotion, dealing with pressure and failures
We encourage you to find out more about this amazing movement, have a thoughtful conversation with your kids, and challenge society’s expectations of what it means to Man Up! Take a look at the impactful video below as well as other powerful articles and talks on their site.